Friday, April 27, 2007

Butternut squash, Congress and finals

In reverse order:

I haven't posted in a while, as you loyal readers will know. Basically, I've been alternating between doing schoolwork and stressing out about how I have so much schoolwork and so little time. My finals start in one week and I also have three papers due, so I probably won't be too attentive to my little bloggie-woggie in the next week or so.

I did receive some interesting news this week, which is that I will be working in the office of a Representative in the House this summer. I don't want to reveal his name just yet, but suffice it to say that he's from the New York/New Jersey area and is incredibly pro-Israel. He serves on the House Committee on Foreign Affairs (excellent) and the House Committee on Ways and Means (VERY powerful, even though he's not particularly high-ranking). I had never heard of him before this week but apparently the intern who worked there last summer had a great experience and actually got to do things, like write press releases and attend committee hearings and whatnot. Most of the work I'll be doing will be constituent-based but hopefully I'll get to do some things that have to do with policy decisions as well. I'll have to wait and see.

Anyway, must go check on my butternut squash kugel baking in the oven. I got a wonderful recipe simply by typing "butternut squash kugel" into the Google search engine. Here's the recipe (my own adjustments are in [brackets]):

16 oz bag frozen butternut squash cubes
1 stick margarine
1 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar [you can short the sugar a little, since butternut squash is sugary on its own]
1/2 cup coffee rich [I used soy milk instead]
3 eggs
cinnamon

Place squash in pot of water and cook until soft (when water boils - test with fork against side of pot). [Alternatively, cook according to the directions on the package.]
Drain squash.
Mash in margarine stick.
Mix other ingredients together in mixing bowl.
Add squash to mixture.
Mix all together place in a 9x13 tin (or two 9x9 tins).
Sprinkle top with cinnamon.
Bake at 350 for ~1 hour (until top turns slightly brown) [I found that it needs at least an hour and ten minutes, if not more time.]
Serve cold or hot. [It tastes best after it has had time to set. I served it at room temperature and it was delicious!]
Enjoy!

(The recipe is from Elana Rabinowitz, Queens, New York)

Shabbat shalom!

1 comment:

Chaya said...

You the Apple,

Since I got to taste your butternut squash kugel, I know that it tasted amazing. Thanks for the recipe.