Friday, April 20, 2007

The perils of having a cold

Right now I have a horrible cold and head congestion. My head feels like it's full of heavy wool and my ears are all blocked up too. I couldn't even smell my Pirate's Booty with Aged White Cheddar and that has a REALLY strong smell (other people in the vicinity looked uncomfortable as I happily munched on my stinky puffs). Luckily Pickle went shopping for Shabbat and bought me some Tylenol for cold and head congestion. So far it's not really working but maybe I'll wake up in the morning and will be able to breathe through my nose.

That brings me to another topic - smoking in the street. In New York, people smoke right and left. You would think that people don't know that smoking: a) causes wrinkles and makes you look old before you actually are; b) makes a woman's voice all deep and gravelly so that she sounds like a man; c) makes your breath smell; d) CAUSES LUNG CANCER, HELLO!!

Not to mention that secondhand smoke is also a major carcinogen.

So as someone who plans on never smoking a single cigarette ever, why, why, WHY do I also have to inhale cigarette smoke when I try to get from point A to point B in the New York City streets? If I see that someone is smoking, I'll try to move away from them so I don't breathe in any poisonous fumes. But occasionally the wind will blow some smoke up my nose before I can do anything about it and I practically choke on the stink. I fervently hope somehow my nasal passages stop the smoke from reaching my lungs. And currently, I am breathing through my mouth because my nose is all stopped up, so not only do I smell the smoke but I taste it too. In case you're wondering cigarette smoke tastes absolutely disgusting and smokers might as well lick an ashtray to get the same sensation.

I applaud the measure to ban smoking in restaurants and bars. Now, all we need is for Mayor Bloomberg to regulate smoking habits outside, too.

Sigh.

Anyway, I'll stop whining because it's 1:12 a.m. and I really need to get some sleep and give the medicine a chance to work. So good night y'all and have a good Shabbat.

No comments: