Tuesday, July 3, 2007

8 things meme

Chana tagged me with this meme. I have to list 8 things about myself, and then tag 8 people with this meme. Here goes nothin' . . .

1. I have always wanted to be a figure skater. In fact, in seventh grade I begged and pleaded with my parents to let me take ice skating lessons, which they allowed me to do. My technique was good, but I was afraid to go fast, so I didn't progress very much. When I went to see Toy Story On Ice, I had this secret desire that they would ask for an audience member to skate instead of one of the principal cast members, and that they would ask me to do it. Didn't happen.

2. Starbucks Frappuchino drinks always give me stomachache, but I drink them anyway.

3. My pet peeve is people who chew with their mouths open.

4. I danced en pointe in ballet for 5 years and did some pas de deux (partnering) for one year. It was an exhilarating experience.

5. I really like gummy candy. This includes, but is not limited to: gummy worms, gummy bears, gummy worms with that white marshmallow thing, marshmallows, puffy monsters (those pink and blue candies shaped like penguins), and these strawberry and peach heart-shaped candies that I found in Israel and have not seen anywhere else. However, I do not like sour gummy foods, like sour bears.

6. In third grade, I was elected mayor of my class. I don't remember actually doing anything in the capacity of mayor, but I beat out two of the most popular girls in the class to win the election.

7. I have a favorite pillow that I've slept with since I was a toddler.

8. I haaaaaaate heights. I hate cable car rides, huge staircases, living on a high floor, rooftops (unless there is a big wall around it), elevator rides that take more than a minute, balconies with bad railings, looking out of the window in an airplane, and just about any amusement park ride. I am petrified to do any of these things.

I think all the people whose blogs I read regularly have been tagged for this, so I tag my commenters Rebecca, Jackie and Chaya to do this in the comments section. Plus anyone else who wants to.

10 comments:

Chana said...

Hey, are Starbucks Frapuccinos kosher?! I get mixed reviews on this all the time. I've already drunk the Mint-Chocolate Chip one and the Double-Chocolate Chip one- I've looked at the ingredients and all and they *seem* kosher but I've been told they are not.

Any chance you could help me on this?

Other than that, huzzah gummy bears!

Also thanks for defending me in my comments section to my post. I appreciate it.

:-)

the apple said...

Well, they sell the Starbucks Frappuchinos (the ones in the little glass bottles) in the Stern caf, and the mashgiach told me that they are okay under OU supervision (I only know this for the coffee and mocha flavors, don't know if it applies to all of them). I HOPE they're kosher, or this would be really embarrassing . . .

You're welcome :).

Chana said...

Oh OH, you mean THOSE frappucinos. I'm talking about the ones they sell at the actual Starbucks. :-)

the apple said...

Oh! Well, I don't know about hot drinks that Starbucks makes. Take it up with your LOR. They might differ depending on the city.

Funny misunderstanding there. Good thing we straightened it out :).

Chaya said...

bs'd

Awww, thanks for tagging me. Now I can feel like I actually have a blog.

1. I love to ski. I used to be afraid of going fast, but I think that I've mostly gotten over that fear. I still don't like to ski moguls, though. Skiing in a skirt is a great conversation starter.

2. I'm addicted to Slurpees, although I'm trying to drink fewer of them a day/week, since they're mostly unnecessary calories.

3. I'm a liberal. However, my brother thinks I'm a libertarian, but I'm really not. We need taxes to pay for benefits for people with special needs (and universal health care:)).

4. I love Yachad.

5. I'm a Sternberger. "Tuesdays and Fridays..."

6. Writing is one my favorite things to do. Since I haven't been writing so much recently, I've put all of my pent-up creativity into articles in the newsletter at the camp I work at. Slightly pathetic.

7. I live in an awesome city, which has lousy public transportation and a corrupt mayor who has been in power for the last 18 years.

8. I was born on a fast day.

9. My middle name is Mushka.

10. I love to learn Torah, especially with Sarah, who will probably never, ever read this blog.

Ezzie said...

The Fraps in stores are almost always a problem, because the stores use a sauce that's not kosher. (Also, when getting lattes, you want to make sure they use only the syrup not the sauce for the same reason.) Of course, if your local starbucks uses a kosher sauce, that shouldn't be a problem.

Hot drinks shouldn't be a problem in Starbucks except for one thing: The ones that make the eggnog Christmas time. As the host said, ask your LOR. :)

Ezzie said...

Oh, and I always drink lattes even though they sometimes go right through me; and I hate heights when there's no barrier, but otherwise I'm fine unless I stare basically straight down - then it's "woah...!!" and a few steps far from the edge. Oddly, in Israel, this didn't really bother me.

Rebecca said...

Aww, Apple, I'm touched that you thought of me!

Chaya, I knew 6/10 points already. :-)

Okay, about me? Here goes:

1. I used to be pre-med, but now I'm majoring in psychology. Don't ask me what I want to do with that yet.

2. I love using the smiley emoticons :-).

3. I have one younger sister, who is almost diametrically opposite of me in personality (in looks, we still kinda look alike).

4. I made my screen name (my e-mail address, obviously not Blogger) in eighth grade and still get teased for it.

5. I'm a really deep thinker.

6. I love little kids.

7. Technically I'm Sfardi, but I don't do anything Sfardi (for various reasons).

8. I love learning Torah.

the apple said...

Chaya and Rebecca, thanks for posting your meme of 8. (BTW, Rebecca, I know who you are now, and I now realize that I missed a wealth of knowledge in you - iy"H I'll get to know you better this coming semester.) I like how you both said that you love to learn Torah. My readers are so shtark!

Ezzie - what do you mean that it didn't bother you in Israel?

Ezzie said...

The heights. I remember hiking up Ein Gedi on an edge that we found out afterwards we weren't supposed to... and it didn't bother me.