Sunday, January 27, 2008

Reasons why I wish I was still in Israel

1. The unparalleled feeling of comfort I experience even if I'm in a neighborhood I've never seen before.

2. Israeli soldiers ;).

3. The awesome jewelry stores.

4. The purity.

5. Everyone's Jewish. Even though the ridiculous amount of communal division breaks my heart, the land is full of Jews.

6. I actually lost weight on this trip! Where I was staying was down a rather large hill . . . so anytime I wanted to get anywhere, it was a trek.

7. My friends who live there.

8. Knowing that the country is the holiest place on Earth, even if you don't always feel it.

9. Egged buses. Even the ones that only come every twenty minutes so you're forced to wait in the freezing cold as your extremities become rapidly more and more numb.

10. Being in a place where both the physical and spiritual armies are hard at work. I firmly believe that the success of the Israeli army is correlated to the amount of Torah studied in Israel, and that yeshiva students have just as important a job as soldiers in defending the land when both jobs are executed with sincerity and a genuine desire to protect the land that G-d gave the Jews. That Torah study has merit on its own goes [almost] without saying.

10 comments:

jackie said...

Yay Israel! :-)

(You are too funny.)

Ezzie said...

Heehee. Good post.

Scraps said...

[sigh]

Wish I were there....

Diet Dr. Pepper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diet Dr. Pepper said...

bs'd

Dear Apple, amu"sh

I wish I had seen you in Israel. You're right, it really is great to be here, especially in the snow.

-DDP

the apple said...

I wish I had seen you too.

SNOW?????

Bas~Melech said...

Hi, Apple!

Just popped in to let you know that it was really nice to meet you last night! Also, a reminder that I'm very protective of my anonymity, so... you don't know me ;-)

Yeshiva Bachur said...

I feel your pain. Having been in Israel at the end of Decemeber. I can't really comment on the Jewelry stores, but the holiness, and knowing that its possible to get into a cab and the guy knows shas or tehilim is awesome.
One thing that Chutz La'Aretz can't replace (excuse me for being a guy) is Shwarma and Ragalach. They just don't make them the same in America as they do in Israel. I don't exactly know what it is, but, they are so much better in Israel.

SephardiLady said...

I'm jealous of your trip!
And what weight was there to loose? I've been working out a lot lately and have slimmed down while gaining weight. Must be the muscule mass I hope.

Lvnsm27 said...

Apple, I so agree that the army gives physical protection, and people who learn give spiritual protection - we need both