Thursday, May 15, 2008

On Graduation

Well, I'm not graduating this year, but a bunch of my friends are. The thought of them leaving makes me overwhelmingly sad and happy at the same time.

I don't know that I can really articulate what these girls mean to me.

When I came to Stern, as an image-conscious, just-out-of-seminary, lost-in-the-sauce sophomore, I knew hardly anyone. There were a few girls from home that I was friendly with, but I came without anyone from high school or seminary. I was so lonely at the beginning, and so lost. I didn't know where anything was, my roommates and I didn't quite mesh, and I was still concerned with how people were going to judge me for going to Stern.

I had a lot of siyata dishmaya, though, and I was placed on a floor in the dorm that also contained two rooms of girls who took me into their circle and befriended me. (No one is exactly clear on how it happened . . . I think I probably just wandered into their rooms one day and never left.) Solid, frum, thinking girls. Girls who are fervent in their avodah. Girls who live intentionally. Girls who care to learn Torah and to live Torah. Girls who love to read and to have fun. Girls who are tzanua and modest. Girls who are principled.

I have never been happier than I am now at Stern. I have a circle of friends who are concerned about each other, always. Friends who care very much for each other's happiness. Friends who are bold enough to give mussar and sensitive enough to know when someone else is chafing. Friends who changed my life and have brought so much joy to me. Friends who taught me that it really isn't worth it be concerned with your image, with how other people perceive you. Friends who taught me that anyone coming from any kind of background can be a spiritual role model. Friends whose zeal for Torah learning is both intimidating and impressive.

True, some of us are remaining at Stern for this coming year, and I'm so thrilled to be able to get closer to them and share more with them. And for the girls who are leaving campus, I can't wait to see where they go and how their experiences outside of college end up.

But for now . . . thank you -- to those of you who are leaving, and those of you who are staying -- for two years of some of the best friendships of my life. And it's not going to end now.

:')

6 comments:

Moshe said...

You are fortunate to have such friends.
Though I was expecting more of a "gush gush sob sob gush gush sob sob" tone, this is a nice tribute to them.

pretzel said...

Lost in the sauce?
Hmmm...I think I know what highschool you went to! ;-P

On a different note, I had the same experience in a school I went to...Friends can make or break the experience.

Diet Dr. Pepper said...

bs'd

Awww.

That was so sweet.

Good luck on finals.

jackie said...

Open invite to the Heights for Shabbos next year!

MordyS said...

Solid, frum, thinking girls. Girls who are fervent in their avodah. Girls who live intentionally. Girls who care to learn Torah and to live Torah. Girls who love to read and to have fun. Girls who are tzanua and modest. Girls who are principled.

SOLD!

Where do I apply?

M said...

Wow. That was really nice. What a beauitful and poignant way to describe your last two years. Gee, I'm getting jelaous- can I join? I'm outgrowing my room... :)