Monday, July 14, 2008

Random things that I've seen or thought on this trip

1. I wonder how many of those young married girls pushing strollers are people that I actually know, but don't recognize because their "hair" looks different.

2. How does anyone afford to live here? *I* think the prices are expensive, and at least the dollar is [a little] better than the shekel. How do the people who only have shekalim do it?

3. Diagonally across from me on the bus yesterday was a woman who, inexplicably, unfolded a napkin and placed it on her head, holding it in place with sunglasses, for the duration of the bus ride to Tel Aviv.

4. I have only seen two women wearing those "super tznius" ponchos over their clothes. Granted, our apartment isn't exactly in Me'ah She'arim.

5. Wow. There are a LOT of pregnant women in Yerushalayim. Secular, observant, unidentifiable - lots of 'em.

6. Israeli religious girls who want to dress in a slutty way are almost better than American girls at achieving the look.

7. If I was Israeli, what would my hashkafah be?

6 comments:

Perel said...

Ah, Apple. I miss you and my daily dose of bluntness...

Moshe said...

Answer to 5: The Jews are getting pregnant because we desperately need to reproduce faster than the Arabs or we'll lose Israel. ok, so that's probably not the reason; but in a war of numbers we need more people!

Ezzie said...

#7 - Chardal.

Frayda said...

If I was Israeli, what would my hashkafah be? What are the options you are considering?

the apple said...

It's tied into watching people on the street and wondering who I would dress like if I lived here.

Which do you think I am considering? :)

aoc gold said...

What Does Little Birdie Say?

(1)

What does little birdie say,
In her nest at peep of day?
Let me fly, says little birdie,
Mother, let me fly away,
Birdie, rest a little longer,

Till the little wings are stronger.

So she rests a little longer,

Then she flies away.

(2)

What does little baby say,
In her bed at peep of day?

Baby says, like little birdie,

Let me rise and fly away.

Baby, sleep a little longer,

Till the little limbs are stronger.

If she sleeps a little longer,

Baby too shall fly away.

-----by runescape gold