Saturday, February 14, 2009

Lists and change

I was looking through my blog and found this description of myself that I wrote in 2007, almost two years ago.  Let's see what has changed (original writing is in bold):

Things I think are a waste of time:
Facebook
I still think so, only now I actually use it and waste time stalking people through it.
Making my bed in the morning
Disagree now.  A made bed makes a room look five times cleaner and neater.  I wish I was better about making my bed consistently though.

Things I spend time doing:
Looking at galleries of people that I don't know on OnlySimchas
Yup, although less so now, because I don't have as much time to devote to it
Procrastinating
Yup
Schoolwork when I feel like it
Yup
Wishing that I had lots of expendable cash so I could go to Brooklyn and go nuts shopping for expensive clothing
Somewhat.  Now I just get my heart set on having a particular item and then spend time agonizing over whether or not I should buy it.

Things I would like to do:
Not procrastinate
Still wishing...
Go on a trip to a warm, sunny place with beaches and actually swim in the water
I finally did that this summer -- the separate beach in Tel Aviv with my sister
Exercise on a regular basis
Hahahahaha
Meet Barack Obama
Weird that I wrote this when I did.  I didn't really care much to meet him then, and he was just barely in the running to be president.  Now that he actually is the president, I suppose I would like to meet him, partly because I'd like to ask him about his ideas about taxes.
Take my computer to get fixed so when I close it the edges are flush
Never did it.  The edges still aren't flush.
Not say things that I'll regret later
Ha.  Ha.  Ha.  I wish I still didn't do this.
Pass my road test and get my license
Sadly, yet to be completed.

Weird.  From the point of view of this list, I seem not to have changed much... but I have.  I don't think I'm even the person I was six months ago.  


3 comments:

Erachet said...

Sometimes change can't be documented, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. It's just something deeper.

corner point said...

Really interesting. It's a good idea--to write down stuff now and then come back to it much later and compare. Maybe if I wasn't feeling lazy now I'd sit down and write a list...

:-P

Scraps said...

"The more things change, the more they stay the same." ;)

Just because you've changed in a lot of ways doesn't mean that everything changed. There can still be constants (like procrastination). Also, bear in mind that this list covered a very limited number of topics - probably most of the ways you have changed are more meaningful.

(Also, I'd just like to add that my word verification was "disco".)